Applications for Side Events in Fiji Pavilion Now Open
Call for Proposals for Side Events
The incoming Presidency of COP23 will be hosting a series of cultural and side events within the Fiji Pavilion in the Bonn Zone.
The Fiji Pavilion will be housed in a Traditional Fijian Bure leading out to a rara (village green) and will provide an interactive space for meetings for up to 50 delegates at a time.
The Prime Minister of Fiji, Frank Bainimarama, has outlined his Vision for COP23. In particular, the Presidency is seeking to help forge a Grand Coalition to accelerate climate action before 2020 and beyond, between civil society, the scientific community, the private sector and at all levels of government, including cities and regions.
The Fiji Pavilion represents a place for members of the Grand Coalition to come together to share experiences in responding to climate change in the traditional Fijian ‘Talanoa’ way.
The incoming Presidency would like events in the Fiji Pavilion to:
- highlight the needs of vulnerable countries and the steps being taken to build resilience;
- showcase innovation in responding to climate change;
- explore ways of scaling up and enhancing the effectiveness of climate finance – in particular for adaptation; and
- highlight partnerships and initiatives that enable greater climate ambition.
The programme for the Fiji Pavilion will be organised in thematic days that complement the themes of the Marrakech Partnership for Climate Action and the official COP23 days. The themes cover:
- Sustainable Energy
- Land Use
- Human Settlements and the role of Cities
- Sustainable Transport
- Innovation in Industry
- Adaptation and Resilience
- Enabling Environments for NDC Implementation
- Financing solutions for Adaptation and Resilience
- Human Rights
- Climate Justice
We invite proposals for side events highlighting relevant themes and the incoming Presidency’s Vision. Speakers may be assisted with accreditation to the Bonn (not Bula) zones by the COP23 Presidency Secretariat.
Priority will be given to events that have a focus on Fijian or Pacific issues and to applicants from or associated with Pacific Small Island Developing States.
So as not to clash with formal Action Day schedules, but also to effectively use speakers, Pavilion thematic days will seek to avoid direct clashes with the Action Days.
Applications for side events, preferably of 60 or 90 minutes will be open between Wednesday, 14 September, 2017 until Monday, 25 September 2017 at 5 p.m. CEST. Successful applicants will be advised as soon as possible.
A concept note of not more than 500 words with key details about the proposed event should be registered here.
Applications will be assessed against the following criteria:
- Consistency with Fiji’s Presidency Vision
- Alignment with Thematic priorities
- Focus on Transformative solutions (does not just showcase current work)
- Communications excellence and impact (events capable of livestreaming)
- Gender and ethnic diversity
- Connection with Pacific Small Island Developing States
The Fijian Government reserves the right to reschedule side events, but will do its utmost best to avoid significant disruption.
For further information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org